Cheong Wa Dae (Blue House) 청와대
Online booking & on-site application available for touring the presidential compound.
Gyeongbokgung Station (line 3, exit 4). 15 mins walk.
Anguk Station (line 3, exit 1). 20 mins walk.
Located with Bugaksan Mountain in the background, Cheong Wa Dae (or Blue House) is the official office and residence for Korean Presidents from 1948 to 2022. Since the establishment of the Republic of Korea in 1948, it has accommodated President Syngman Rhee to President Moon Jae-in.
The Opening of Cheong Wa Dae to the Public in 74 years
On 10 May 2022, following the relocation of the presidential office to the defence ministry building in Yongsan District, Cheong Wa Dae was opened to the public for the first time in 74 years, on the day of inauguration of President Yoon Suk-yeol.
Cheong Wa Dae Tour
Visitors can freely tour Cheong Wa Dae by making an appointment online or via on-site application. Admission is free.
There are 3 entrance gates to Cheong Wa Dae, namely the Yeongbinmun Gate (west), main gate (center) and Chunchumun (Spring & Autumn) Gate (east).
1. Online Application (reserve1.opencheongwadae.kr)
09:00 - 18:00 (last entry at 17:30).
Closed on Tuesdays.
First come first serve.
Reservation can be made up to 4 weeks in advance.
Up to 6 participants allowed per individual reservation.
Local mobile number required for identify verification.
2. On-site Application
Issuance at the General Information Center of the Main Gate.
09:00 & 13:30.
Maximum of 500 visitors per session.
Recommended option for foreign visitors to South Korea.
No smoking allowed inside Cheong Wa Dae.
In case of rain, access to the interior of the major buildings may be restricted for damage prevention.
Wearing a mask outdoor is strongly recommended, mask must be worn indoors though.
Map of Key Attractions at Cheong Wa Dae
1. Main Office Building - The central building used for the office of the President and reception of foreign guests.
2. Yongbingwan (State Guest House) - The building where large-scale conferences and official events for foreign state guests were held.
3. Presidential Residence - The place where the president and his family live.
4. Sugung Site - The present site of Sugung was the site of Sugung that protected the royal palace at that time.
5. Sangchunjae - A venue for ceremonial events and informal meetings to introduce Korean style houses to foreign distinguished guests visiting the Blue House.
6. Nokjiwon Garden - The most beautiful place on the grounds of the Blue House where 120 species of trees and commemorative plantings of past presidents are located.
7. President's Office - The Office of the President of the Republic of Korea.
8. Chunchugwan (Spring & Autumn Hall) - Built to be used as a press conference venue for the President and as a reporting room for reporters.
9. Mugunghwa (Rose of Sharon) Garden - A public rest park.
10. Chilgung Shrine - The place where the tablets of concubines who given birth to a King during the Joseon Dynasty are enshrined.
Hike the Once-forbidden Bugaksan Mountain (Southern)
With the opening of Cheong Wa Dae, the southern hiking trails of Bugaksan Mountain (also known as Mt. Baegak) behind Cheong Wa Dae was also opened to the public for the first time in 54 years, on 6 April 2022.
The short loop trail starts from behind the Presidential Residence back to Cheong Wa Dae compound. Key highlights along the trail include the Stone Buddha Seated on a Square Pedestal from Gyeongju and Ounjeong Pavilion.
💡Map of Bugaksan Mountain (Southern) Hiking Course
For those keen to explore the southern trails of Bugaksan Mountain more extensively, you can enter/exit the trails via Samcheong Information Center or Chigung Information Center, located outside Cheong Wa Dae.
Road to Cheong Wa Dae in Autumn
During autumn, the road leading to Cheong Wa Dae, along the stone-wall of Gyeongbokgung Palace (Sinmumun Gate) turned into gorgeous shades of yellow from the ginkgo trees. A lovely sight to behold on the relaxing walk.
Map of Getting to Cheong Wa Dae
KoreaToDo TOP PICKS - Tours, Activities & Discount Tickets
➥ Handpicked experiences by KoreaToDo for their uniqueness, value, popularity, price competitiveness and at times, tedious to reach by public transport.
♔ KoreaToDo recommends Klook.com, Asia leading in-destination service provider.
❀SEASONAL HIGHLIGHTS❀ Handpicked Experiences
Other KoreaToDo Collection that you may like:
Still looking? Explore KoreaToDo handpicked collection of: